Fiberglass Reinforced Plastics (FRP) comprise a special group of the reinforced plastics made up of by incorporating flexible strands of fibrous glass into a compatible plastics material. This engineering material came into existence in 1942 for the first time. From this modest beginning the FRP family of composites has grown both in number and quality today competing with metals and other materials. Almost all engineering plastics are being used for making composites and a variety of new composites are being developed every year. More then 35000 products are being made out of these composites.
FRP products are used in applications requiring high mechanical strength but, with light weight requirements. Combining fiberglass with plastics increases the materials physical strength, stiffness, impact resistance and dimensional stability, and it also increases its use over wider temperature ranges. The specific gravity of FRP is roughly one-fifth that of steel, and as such, its use covers a wider range of applications when lightweight is important. Depending on the amount of glass reinforcement used and its particular geometry and arrangement in the resin mix, strengths can range from roughly half to several times those of structural steel.
General Advantages of FRP:
- Low electrical conductivity.
- High Strength-to-weight ratio.
- Low thermal conductivity.
- Adequate optical properties.
- Low transportation cost.
- Low installation costs.
- Corrosion resistance.
- Low resistance to flow
- Dimensional stability.
- Ease of installation.
- Good energy saving.
- Light in weight.
Products and Applications
- Transportation: Car, bus and truck bodies, hood, bonnets, wing mirrors, break linings, seats, bumpers, leaf spring, spare wheel covers, bulk cargo containers, etc.
- Construction and infrastructure: Sanitary ware products, such as bathtub, shower units, wash basins, WC pans, etc. Roof light sheets and domes, flat and corrugated sheets. Decorative paneling. Insulation panels.Form work, moulds and shuttering for concrete, rain water guttering. Roofing applications include sealing and water proofing.
- Corrosion resistant: Applications in this market include all types oilfield pipes, fume handling ducts, under ground petrol tanks, sucker rods, water, waste water, drainage and irrigation piping and corrosion resistant tanks for all kinds of industries.
- Recreational: Water and snow skis, kayaks, snowboards, golf club shafts, golf trolleys and fishing rods, swimming pools, etc.
- Marine: Power boards, sail boats, speed boats, etc.
- Appliances & Business Equipment: Such as components and household appliances, computer terminal housing.
- Electronics & Electrical: Light poles, circuit boards, electrical junction boxes, ladder rails and copper plated laminates in printed circuit board, etc.
- Aerospace & Aircraft: Over head storage bins, aircraft toilets and helicopter rotor blades.
- Bio Gas Plants